The underlying principles of GWS, which have been unanimously adopted and implemented by its partners, as reflected in their projects, are the following:
- Development effectiveness: harmonization, alignment and ownership.
- Territorial approach / multilevel governance.
- Sustainable partnerships and dialogue between territories.
- Universality / Human Rights approach / socioeconomic inclusion of traditionally marginalizedgroups.
- Transparency and facilitation / mutual accountability / participatory approach.
- Leverage / multi-donor and multi-partner approach.
- Sustainability: environmental, financial, institutional,
- Technical and socioeconomic.
- Citizen / user participation.
- Inter-sector coordination